Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

WW vs.s MFP: The Battle Rages On

As I said in my About Me post, I did Weight Watchers for a few years with great success. I lost around 30 pounds, and when I was following the program, it mostly stayed off. But the key to that sentence is following the program. I paid them a lot of money to run well over my weekly points allowance and gain and lose the same 2 pounds over the course of a year or so.

So now I'm using the My Fitness Pal site/app to help me on this phase of my journey. Why MFP vs. WW? Here's a lowdown of my reasons. Remember, these opinions are mine and mine alone, so don't carve them into your arm take them as law.

The Price
I like shoes. And saving money to buy more shoes? I like that even more. The thing is, if I was struggling to stay on track, I'm not going to donate money to the WW bottom line. MFP is free. So the only thing getting padded if I don't follow it is my rear end.

Complacency
As weird as it sounds, I started to consider myself somewhat of a Points expert. I thought I knew enough about WW Points values to estimate what I was eating without looking it up. Every day I was on track, yet I never seemed to lose. Hmmm...something's not adding up there.
 
The Plan
At the risk of offending Jennifer Hudson, I didn't like the new Points Plus plan. The shift away from calories and toward macronutrients, I didn't care for. I don't like low carb, and that was definitely pushed on the PP plan, at least at the meetings I attended. Couple that with what came to be known to me as "punishment points" for alcohol (e.g., giving booze more points to discourage you from drinking it and eating a mozzarella stick), and it didn't suit my lifestyle before. Momentum worked for me; PP didn't.

I miss WW, because I felt safe and successful there. And maybe some day I'll go back when I'm tired of MFP. But for now, that's where I stand in the never-ending battle between weight loss plans.

Your turn: Do you prefer WW over MFP, or vice versa? Or do you even track at all? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment